Monday, 25 June 2012

Reviews, Readers, Rock Gods and a Gift


I’ve got a few things to cover in this blog post, so bear with me because there is a gift at the end for reading all the way down.

Amazon reviews - Makers, breakers or irrelevant?
I was asked to guest post on this topic over on Multi-Story.co.uk. I know that many indie writers struggle to get reviews from regular review sites and bloggers, and so rely on family and friends to boost their visibility on Amazon, but you might want to rethink this strategy after reading my article: http://www.multi-story.co.uk/guestspot.html

Reviews from total strangers
Ultimately, what we really want and need are comment from readers. Those lovely people who have bought our books and take the time to give feedback on them. One way of achieving this is for your book to be picked as a book club read. Bad Moon Rising featured on the Crime Scene Reader book club. Here is a link if you're interested in finding out how blunt and honest readers can be: Reader Reviews

Name a Rock God Competition
This competition is now closed. I’ve had some wonderful (and weird) suggestions, which I’ll be poring over to make a shortlist. Watch this space to find out who won.

And finally, here's the gift: a free collection of short stories to while away an hour or two
Wish You Were (Not) Here (Pentalpha Publishing Edinburgh) is a collection of seven short stories. On Saturday 30th June and Sunday 1st July the book will be free on all Amazon sites. Please help yourselves to a copy.

2 comments:

Tome Keeper said...

Just read your article on Amazon reviews and I think you've made some excellent points.

I generally don't trust Amazon reviews because most don't give any detail about what was good/bad about the book just a comment on if they liked it or not.

I also wish Amazon would allow cross-posting. I don't have the time to re-write every review for Amazon so end up putting a summary to avoid going against Amazon T&Cs; which isn't as useful.

http://tomesofthesoul.blogspot.co.uk/

Frances said...

Glad you found the article interesting. I see you also review. I'll be in touch.