Monday, 7 January 2013

Interview with a killer

Over the next few weeks I’m going to be interviewing the main characters from Bad Moon Rising, published by Crooked Cat Publishing.

I’ve decided to conduct the interviews in the order in which characters appear in the novel. As Bad Moon Rising open with the killer in the act of saving someone’s soul, he gets to go first.

Obviously, in this interview he won’t want to tell us who he is, but we can find out a lot about how his mind works.
 
Describe yourself to me.
This is so typical of the way the world is today. Why would your first question be to ask about my looks? What I look like isn’t important. What is important is my work – my reason for being on God’s earth. I am here solely to do his will.

What would you say was the defining event in your life?
The day my mother showed me how to keep myself pure. It was on that day I discovered that she loved me and wanted to keep me free from temptation.

Did you turn out the way you expected? The way your parents predicted?
I have no idea what my father wanted for me. He was a weak man. He couldn’t control his base urges, which caused my mother great heartache. I am fulfilling my mother’s destiny by purifying the souls of sinners, so I think she would be proud of my work.

What moves you, or touches your soul?
The only time I am moved is when I mark a former sinner to guide her into God’s arms. At that moment, my soul soars upwards with hers.

What are your strengths?
I am single-minded, determined and let nothing stand between me and my goal.

What are your weaknesses?
I would rather not answer that.

I’m sorry; I have to insist you answer all questions. What are your weaknesses?
I … I have … urges like my father. Sometimes it is hard to hold back and wait to mark the sinners. Sometimes … my Dearest Lord, I’m so sorry, but sometimes I am weak. I want to do more than mark them. Dear God, I feel so ashamed. Sometimes I want to enter their foul bodies.

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you. Let’s move on. If it were possible, what superpower would you have?
I would choose to fly, so that I could simply swoop in and carry off the souls to be saved, rather than picking them up by car. I’d be able to work faster.

What’s the worst thing you’ve ever done?
In the past I allowed lust to take over my mind, but I have since found ways to control and use my urges to carry out God’s great plan.

What are you most afraid of?
Nothing. I have the Lord on my side. As long as I do his bidding, I have nothing to fear.

What, if anything, would you change about your life?
If I could go back in time and change just one thing, I would have started God’s work earlier. Tell me, Ms di Plino, are you pure enough to live, or would you like me to help you find the Lord?

Um, thank you for your honest and unflinching answers. I think it’s time I found somewhere safe to hide until you’re caught.
God has made sure that I can never be caught because I don’t exist.

~~~

Next week I’ll be interviewing Detective Inspector Paolo Storey. In the meantime, I’m going to barricade myself in a safe room.

3 comments:

Nancy Jardine said...

I enjoyed this all the more - having recently read Bad Moon Rising!

Frances said...

Thank you for commenting, Nancy. When this man gets in my head I always feel I need to wash my mind out with carbolic soap.

Trish Nicholson said...

This is a brilliant idea - interviewing the characters - something we all ought to do as part of writing and/or editing our stories. It's also creative promotion. Take care!