Thursday, 4 July 2013

Ten facts about … Catriona King





When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?
I’ve written in some form since I was a child, whether for work or pleasure. The first time I realised that I wanted to try to be published was in 2010. That was when I started to write the D.C.I. Craig thriller series

How long does it take you to write a book?
That’s an interesting and difficult question. It really depends on whatever else is going on in my life. If I have time then I can write the first draft of a novel in somewhere between eight to ten weeks. Editing could take another month. If I don’t have time it could take forever! I find writing sequels easier than writing new novels with completely new characters.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I start writing in the morning as soon as I wake up. That could be anywhere between 6am and 8am, depending on the day’s schedule. Then I write; until lunchtime on a bad day and around five o’clock on a good one. I tend to think it terms of how many words I’ve written that day rather than the hours –on a good day the words come easily, or a bad day it’s like pulling teeth. I know when I need to stop writing in a particular day because the typos start piling up!

How many crime novels have you written?
I’ve written four novels in the D.C.I. Craig series and I’m writing a fifth novel in a completely new vein at the moment. The new one is a spy/ espionage thriller, set in New York, rather than a crime novel.

Which is your favourite and why?
I really like book two in the D.C.I. Craig series The Grass Tattoo because of the Russian Mafia characters. The Russian mafia are fairly secretive so research was a challenge.

Where do you get your ideas?
From anything and everything I see. I can be sitting in a café when a random idea will occur to me and I’ll jot things down. I have notebooks full of them which I forget about and then discover. But my handwriting is dreadful so I often can’t work out what I’ve written!

Who is your favourite character from your own work and why?
I like the lead character Marc Craig. I think if I were a man I would be like him. And the second lead Liam Cullen, because he’s so politically incorrect and (hopefully) funny.

Which character from the work of others do you wish you’d invented and why?
Doctor Who without question. Given that you can be anywhere in time and space, the potential story lines are limitless.

If you could have been someone from history involved in crime (good or bad) who would that be and why?
Sherlock Holmes. He was so eccentric and so brilliant.

What are you working on now?
A new stand-alone thriller set in New York. It’s called The Carbon Trail and is about love, espionage and science!

Biography
Catriona King trained as a doctor, and as a police Forensic Medical examiner in London where she worked for many years. She worked closely with the Metropolitan Police on many occasions. In recent years, she has returned to live in Belfast. She has written since childhood, fiction, fact and reporting.


Published works
D.C.I. Craig Belfast's Modern Thriller Series






No comments: