Thursday, 8 August 2013

Ten facts about … Cameron Lawton



When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?
I didn't.  I have always written. At school I used to write stories for my friends but I never thought of submitting them until someone suggested I try it.

How long does it take you to write a book?
First draft can be done in under two months but then it needs a great deal of work so four months is a more sane estimate.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
Haphazard! I can write non-stop for 24 hours and then leave it for days.

How many crime novels have you written?
Only one specifically Cancel Christmas which revolves around a murder on an Army base in Germany. It is part of a series featuring two investigators from the British Royal Military Police.

Which is your favourite and why?
The next one!  I'm always raring to get going on my new ideas.
 
Where do you get your ideas?
Having a few ex-military in the family helps and there are specific crimes that pertain to that life. I came up with the idea for Cancel Christmas when I wondered what would happen if the motives for a murder could be racism or homophobia or something more mundane. The military was a perfect setting for this. 

Who is your favourite character from your own work and why?
So hard to choose between them. I think Jack because his sense of humour is quirky and he bends the rules in a very crafty way.

Which character from the work of others do you wish you’d invented and why?
Sherlock Holmes. I would love to have such an organised mind and memory. For the character to have it, the author needs to have it too and that is just soooo not me!

If you could have been someone from history involved in crime (good or bad) who would that be and why?
I would like to have been someone working in the Tower of London so I would know if Richard III really did murder those princes or if they died of natural causes. Either that or Jack the Ripper. Everyone who writes crime would like to solve that one.

What are you working on now?
The third in the series of Jack and Rory – this one will see them on their travels but they will be diverted by a crime. It will be fun to write about places I know and there will be a lot more humour in this one. Cancel Christmas was very grisly in places.

Bio
Cameron Lawton is the twin brother of novelist Ailsa Abraham with whom he lives in France. He is very reticent about his past, but openly gay.  His ambition is to ride a Harley Davidson across America. His hobbies include old black and white films, cooking and walking with his two dogs. He insists that he does not like musicals or interior design but has a penchant for dressing up.


Books
Loki's Curse published by MLRPress – Author Page


Twitter - @cameronlawton
Facebook – Cameron Lawton
Web page 

No comments: