Thursday, 15 May 2014

Ten facts about ... Gunnar Angel Lawrence



When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?
I’ve been writing since I was in elementary school and wanted to be a writer from junior high on. I enjoyed writing science fiction, mystery and fantasy type books. I’ve been reading since I was 18 months old, yeah, not exaggerating there. I read everything I could get my hands on and when I was out of stuff to read, I wrote stories. I used it as an escape from a rather tragic, dull existence and still prefer my world of make believe.

How long does it take you to write a book?
That depends on the book; it took a year and a half to write Fair Play and two years to write The Perfect Day. There was a lot more research to that one as it is based in a lot of fact. The follow up book is entitled The Consortium and I haven’t even begun a tenth of the research I need to do on that one.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I spend 8 to 12 hours a day when in full blown writing mode. My day job allows me a few hours here and there and I do what I can when I can. But in getting ready for a deadline, I’ll write like a madman.

How many crime novels have you written?
I spent a few years as a ghost-writer. So the only crime novels I can claim are the ones I did with my own name on them. That would be two. Fair Play and The Perfect Day. There are other books with my name on them in a variety of genres, but I am trying to focus more on the crime-thriller genre books.

Which is your favourite and why?
My favourite is always the latest one. I am especially proud of the work that went into The Perfect Day  as it is more than double the word count and size as Fair Play and there is action from page one to the end. The Perfect Day is about a terrorist attack-plan that was discovered during the invasion of Iraq. It is an actual plot where embedded terrorist cells in America rise up on one day and perform horrendous attacks on soft targets. One of the thoughts that drove this book is what would happen if ONE of those targets was my home city of Orlando, Florida.

Where do you get your ideas?
I get my ideas from current events, the news. Fair Play was born out of the whole Casey Anthony trial and asks the question: How does an attorney live with themselves when their job is to free a guilty person. How is justice served when criminals are allowed to be released on to the general population to kill or rape again?

Who is your favourite character from your own work and why?
I love all my characters, even the villains. My favourite character though has to be Monica Quinn who is a Certified Fraud Examiner. She gets into the picture by tracing the accounting that financed the terrorist attacks. She is a single mom of an autistic son and has the same struggles that a lot of single parents do.

Which character from the work of others do you wish you’d invented and why?
I’d have to say Hannibal Lecter, but only because that series of books is one of my favourites. He is a perfect villain, and I would have loved to hear the inner voices that were speaking when he was created.

If you could have been someone from history involved in crime (good or bad) who would that be and why?
I would have liked to have been the first person to ever use a computer to hack into a bank and steal all the money without ever needing to ‘rob’ anyone. Move to a country with no extradition treaty and spend all my remaining years on a beach sipping bright fruity drinks.



What are you working on now?
The Consortium is the follow up to The Perfect Day and addresses the very serious and real issue of human trafficking in the United States. As it turns out, Central Florida is a major hub of human trafficking crimes worldwide. I am hoping to have it released in 2015. 

Bio
After years of ghost-writing thrillers, conspiracy novels and mystery books, Gunnar Angel Lawrence has published his second thriller. He is the author of Fair Play and the sequel The Perfect Day. He is a native Floridian with a love for writing thrillers, mysteries and action stories with fast pacing and a unique twist. He lives in Saint Cloud, Florida with his dogs and is currently single. Most of his time is spent working on the sequel to The Perfect Day which is entitled, The Consortium.





No comments: